GOLDEN GALA PIETRO MENNEA (IAAF DIAMOND LEAGUE)
The 36th edition of the Golden Gala of Rome will be held on June 2, 2016 at the Stadio Olimpico.
Golden Gala is the fourth leg in the Diamond League, the yearly series of athletics competitions for the best sportsmen and sportwomen in the world.
Besides Rome, 13 cities regularly host it: Doha, Shangai, Eugene, Birmingham, Oslo, New York, Paris, Lausanne, Monaco, London, Stockholm, Zurich and Brussels.
The IAAF Diamond League encompasses 32 individual event disciplines, with a points scoring ‘Diamond Race’ which runs throughout the 14 meeting series. Winners of each Diamond Race will get a Diamond Trophy, a cash prize, a wild card for the IAAF World Championships, and of course the chance to make history of athletics.
Roman Golden Gala is part of this circuit since 1980, while its dedication to the late Italian champion Pietro Mennea dates back to 2013.
Two of the eight world records set at the Golden Gala in Rome still stand: 1,500-m (1998) and mile records (1999) by Morocco’s Hicham El Guerrouj.
DIRECTIONS TO STADIO OLIMPICO IN ROME
Address: via dello Stadio Olimpico, 1, Rome.
From Hotel Des Artistes by public transports you have two options:
- take metro Line A from Termini station (direction: Battistini) for 4 stops and get off at Flaminio
- from Flaminio, catch tram #2 and get off at the last stop: Piazza Mancini.
- Follow the directions to the stadium by foot.
- take metro Line A from Termini station (direction: Battistini) for 6 stops and get off at Ottaviano
- from Ottaviano, catch bus #32 and get off at Piazzale della Farnesina, just few steps away from the stadium.